Tuesday 3 March 2009

The ministry team have had a whole series of conversations recently - both within and outside the congregation - about baptism, membership and what it is all about. It's been fascinating and exciting.
But, certainly from my point of view, it has also been, on some occasions at least, suprising. Firstly that it happened at all, in a culture where people keep telling me folk are not interested in faith, in baptism and in joining things. But what has really caught me out has been the nature of the questions. I have been brought up short by the reminder that my world and my words are not obvious to everybody.
It came into focus yesterday when I went into a sandwich shop I rather haunt. They recognise me, know what I am going to order, and we have some fun chats. Yesterday, the man serving me asked what I had been doing all day. It was the first time I actually identified myself as one of the ministers in the church over there. Oh, he said - what does that entail., So, I described a (sort of!!) typical day, and he asked a couple more obvious sort of questions - the kind of things I would have expected. But he then followed it up with "And who is the priest there?" "Well, I guess I'm one of them" Long silence. Now, there was a language and a gender issue at play here - but also suddenly the recognition that my term "minister" didn't mean anything - and even when we got to the term priest, although he knew the term, actually, what such a person was, what the church is and does - all the things I take for granted, actually meant very little to him, except as some strange esoteric hidden something.
It is a salutary reminder that what we are is not obvious, and who we are is not clear. It's easy for those of us who have been in this - or some other - church for a long time, to assume that everybody knows who we are, what we do, and what it's all about.
But it's not true.
In Disciples on the Way during Lent, we are reflecting together on mission - what it is, and how it works for us. And perhaps we need to start here. How do we demystify who and what we are - and indeed, should we?
I have been in a betting shop once in my life - accompanying somebody who was very at home there. I had no idea what went on, how to behave or what to expect. I was very uncomfortable, self- conscious and didn't want to go again.
Is that true for a church?
It was a helpful encounter, my trip to William Hills. It occurs to me at various points when I wonder about how we welcome people. Where would be a strange place for you to go - and, please, will you go there, see what it feels like, and bring that into our conversations about how we live the life of the Kingdom here.

No comments: